Lithium battery technology is currently focused on developing improvements in several areas. The quest often involves implementing advances in nanotechnology and micro-structures. For example:
- Increasing cycle life and performance (decreasing internal LifePo4 Golf Cart Battery Pack Supplier resistance and increasing output power) by changing the arrangement of the material used in the anode and cathode, along with increasing the effective surface part of the electrodes and changing materials used in the electrolyte.
- Improving capacity by improving the structure to add in more active materials.
- Improving the safety of lithium-ion batteries.
We should see big advances in efficiency and power soon. In 2006, a small grouping of scientists at MIT announced a process which uses trojans to form nano-sized wires. These can be used to build ultra-thin lithium-ion batteries with three times the normal energy solidity. Just last year a written report in New Scientist claimed that MIT had prevailed in producing the first full virus-based 3-volt lithium-ion battery. Later just last year, engineers at the University of Dayton Research Institute developed the world’s first solid-state, normal rechargeable lithium air battery which was designed to address the fire and exploding market risk of other lithium normal rechargeable batteries and make path for development of large-size lithium rechargeables for many industry applications, including hybrid and electric cars!
Lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries have quickly get to be the most widely utilized battery biochemistry in our portable electronics such as laptops, cell phones, and PDAs. Due to high energy solidity, the lightweight, and the construction flexibility, Li-ion and Li-ion polymer bonded batteries have replaced pennie normal rechargeable batteries! All top battery manufacturers have introduced next generation Li-ion cells. Lithium-ion batteries willpower the hybrid and electric car wave. And wave is not too strong a word for it.
The vitality Independence and Security Act toughened up fuel efficiency standards to 35 mpg by 2020. Obama stiffened the standards even more in May, raising fuel economy standards to 39 mpg for cars and 27 mpg for trucks. The timeline was moved up four years to 2016. The new rules guarantee the lithium-ion battery is the only way car makers can fulfill the new standards. Since a vehicle battery requires 100 times more lithium carbonate than the usual laptop battery, there is a need to build large-scale manufacturing facilities. The vitality Department just announced $8 thousand in low-cost loans to Honda, Nissan and Tesla to build new battery industrial facilities. Metal Miner reports, “Johnson Controls and Saft of England are developing a battery production facility in The state of michigan supported by $220 million of state aid. inch The costa rica government has committed $25 thousand via the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program to nurture the emerging Lithium Battery industry.
Meanwhile, our new Prius is using the NiMH battery, and the current state of non-lithium battery technology isn’t bad! The Prius uses a Sealed Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery (Ni-MH, for short) with a power output of 28 power (21 Kw) and 201. 6V Voltage. There is another smaller additional battery (12 Volts), which powers the Prius computer. The Prius battery is designed to last the life span of the car. According to Toyota, this is around a hundred and eighty, 000 Miles. The batteries can actually be recycled. A summary of the process can be found on Toyota’s website. It ought to be noted that the Prius grip batteries are under warranty for 8-10 years or 100, 000 miles, and so will be replaced for free before then in the case of failure. However, should the battery fail outside this time-line, the estimated cost of grip battery replacement is $3, 000. When rapid velocity is needed, the power supply will “help” the petrol engine, reducing the consumption of fuel during this time period. Our 2010 Model II is getting over 50 miles per gallon and we still have under 2, 000 miles on it. We just love watching the mpg indicator float between 60 and 100 mpg when running on flat road! The bottom line is we have reduced our gas expenditure by two thirds and more important, our h2o and impact by two thirds!
From 2003 to 2007 as Blackberry’s and iPods exploded on the scene, demand doubled for lithium carbonate, the refined form of Lithium used in batteries. Lithium’s ultra-light weight and volatility make it the perfect fuel for running small batteries. Lithium-ion batteries are lighter, smaller and pack more power than conventional batteries. So they’re perfect for cell phones and laptops. And soon will be for EV’s!!
The current state of electric car development is only a consumer test by the auto makers. They will get their feet, wallowing in their ignorance, avarice, and arrogance until the general public shouts ‘Enough! ha Global increased temperatures is a way bigger long range problem than the petro/auto industries narrow minded, short term myopic focus on stock returns and their blatant lack of concern for h2o and emissions. The government should be giving every buyer of hybrids and electrics a significant ‘Tax Credit’ prior to the emissions problem is under control. Consumers need to be enticed to go electric! The major car manufacturers will not give up on their brain cleansed public (which they created) until they have milked the ‘SUV’ and ‘PU’ (pick up) cow dry! Is OPEC at fault? No! Its our own Petro-Automotive Industrial complex!
What’s happening in the auto industry with forward looking companies?
- Mercedes starts its S400 HYBRID car early this season. E-Class, M-Class, and GL-Class will be tailing it closely.
- Tesla Engines has delivered its American-made Roadster, an all-electric two-seater fancy car and plans to debut its Model S car in 2011. The Tesla Roadster speeds up from 0-60 in 3. 9 seconds, attains rates of speed all the way to 160 mph, and travels over 200 miles on a single charge.
- Nissan has retooled a manufacturing plant in Tennessee to produce a hundred and fifty, 000 pure electric cars, called The Leaf.
- Honda is bringing out the pure electric Transit Connect commercial navy vehicle this season and plans to invest $550 million to retool a The state of michigan truck plant to manufacture a pure electric Focus in 2011.
- Chinese car makers Hafei and Coda are preparing to bring a mass-produced electric car to market in California in fall 2010.
- The BMW MINI-E gives you all the fun and nimble handling of its gas relative, but costs 40% less to operate a month. A test navy was launched in the usa earlier this May (2009).
- The Jeep Patriot SUV, Dodge fancy car, four-door Jeep Wrangler and Chrysler minivan are purportedly pulling Chrysler into the electric car race.
- The Chevy Volt is purportedly already in production and you will be available in 2010. GM’s rebirth as a viable company may depend on the Volt! The Volt is powered by advanced Lithium Ion smart batteries with associated computer controls for cooling and charging.
Should OPEC be concerned? The Volt will cruise for about 40 miles without coming in contact with a drop of gas. The 40 kilometer range is no coincidence. It’s the average distance 75% of Americans travel on their daily travel time. After 40 miles, an on-board internal combustion engine recharges the batteries. It’s expected to get 230 mpg in the city and give the Volt a 640-mile range on a single container. The Volt will average 100 to 230 miles per gallon of gas.
What’s happening on the global scene regarding the use of Lithium for the production of batteries?
- China announced plans to jack in the production of refined Lithium for utilization in batteries 461% by 2011.
- An Foreign company recently agreed to produce teen, 000 tons of this wonder substance in China’s Jiangsu state.
- The Federal government has reserved a whopping $25 thousand, an increase of 6, two hundred and fifty times over previous expenditures, to develop refined supplies of this super-green fuel.